2. Letter (Quest) – As you enter, you hear an argument going on. A cleric will turn and demand to know who you are. If you respond by Parlaying SLY, you will get a letter that contains useful information. If you respond NICE or MEEK, you will be thrown out of the room. Any other response will put you in conflict with two black robe mages, two clerics, and three warriors. If you win the fight, you will find the letter. Any attempt to talk with the cleric after getting the letter by parlaying or after being thrown out, will result in the fight listed above.
3. Traitor – You come upon alone cleric . You can either threaten him or let him go. If you let him go, he will be grateful to you for as long as it takes him to get out of the room; then he will begin yelling for the guards. If he gets out you will have many more random encounters to deal with . If you threaten him, however, he will surrender and you may tie him up to keep him quiet. In either case, you’ll find useful information on scraps of paper.
4. Altar – This is the inner temple. You can see the altar at the far end of the room. As you enter the inner temple, you are jumped by six baaz draconians. If you defeat them, you will hear apriest from the altar area.
5. Main Altar (Quest) – This is the main altar of the Temple of Throtl. You enter upon a dark ceremony that is attempting to convert brass dragon eggs into draconian warriors. The attempt fails and the eggs explode, killing many of the acolytes. A cleric will spot your party and blame you for the failure, taking you into a vicious combat. This is a dangerous fight and will take careful planning to win. You are up against an evil curate, three black-robe mages, two clerics, and five baaz draconians. If you win this battle, you will gain 1000 extra experience points each, as well as a treasure containing 350 steel pieces, one gem, a Potion of Extra Healing, and a +1 flail.
In order to be successful in this fight, you will need to use your Sleep and Hold Person spells wisely. Sleep the enemy quickly as they will cast many dangerous spells on your party. If you need to damage an enemy spell caster before he casts aspell on you, use Magic Missile spells to hit him instantly. Having protection spells active when you enter here (such as Bless) is not a bad idea either. No matter what, it is a good idea to save your game before entering this combat, as the enemy spell casters make it a very dangerous and unpredictable fight.
6. Undead – You will encounter an undead patrol here. You may fight or leave. If you choose combat, you’ll fight skeletons, zombies, and a pair of ghouls. These are former members of Caramon’s party, turned into undead by the evil clerics.
7. Encounter – You discover two clerics and four baaz draconians here. The clerics don’t want to fight, but the baaz will force the issue if you don’t leave. You gain more information if you win.
8. Draconians – Once you defeat the evil forces at #5, you will come upon a large party of draconians carrying brass dragon eggs. Five of them split off to stop you while the others flee.
9. Magical Treasure – Until you defeat the priests at #5, this area is empty. However, once you clear the inner temple at#5, there is an evil curate here directing the activities of six zombies. You can fight, leave, or attempt to parlay. If you try to parlay, they will simply close the distance between their group and your party and then attack. If you win this fight, you will discover a treasure of 10 +1 Arrows and a Potion of Speed.
10. Catacombs (Quest) – The entrance to the Catacombs is here. The draconians with the eggs have fled through here and you must pursue. You may not enter the Catacombs until the enemy in the inner temple (#5) have been defeated.
11. Ambush – This is an ambush. Acleric-led undead patrol will attack you here. This can be a costly ambush, as the cleric gets to cast a Hold Person spell before you can act. Make sure you have a Dispel Magic spell prepared on one of your neutrally-aligned clerics. This will allow you to free your frozen characters from the Hold Person spell.
Synopsis: Caramon has been rescued and the key wrested from the grasp of the evil cleric that had captured him. You have been ordered to explore the rest of Throtl for more evidence of the eggs and to determine the enemy’s intentions. You enter the Temple district and are immediately aware of heavy magics in the area.
Goals: Your party must defeat the enemy clerics whoare attempting to perform a conversion on the good dragon eggs they have captured. You must explore the Temple area to glean as much information as possible. After defeating the clerics in the inner temple, you should descend into the Catacombs.
Note: You may return to the outpost at any time if you need to heal or gain levels. It is highly recommended that you train before descending into the Catacombs. However, be warned that there may be more monsters waiting for you in Throtl when you return…
Where you can rest: At the inner temple after defeating the forces there. You may try to rest anywhere, but may get interrupted, especially if you let the cleric at #3 go free.
There are eight total random encounters to be found in the Temple of Throtl. The chance of running into one is greatly increased if you let the cleric at #3 go free . You can run into a wide variety of monster types here including baaz, giant rats, skeletons, zombies, ghouls, powerful clerics and blackrobe mages.
As always, if you leave the Temple to either the City or the Catacombs, when you return you will find fresh patrols waiting for you.
Starting location: I recommend entering the Southern door so you are not ambushed immediately. Unless you want to get it out of the way first. If you enter the Western door first, make sure to cast a Bless spell before entering and have a couple of Dispel Magic spells ready.
Hall: Return to the outpost south of Throtl to level up before going into the temple. Heal your party and memorize all spells, including Bless, Dispel Magic, Magic Missile, Hold Person and Sleep. The Throtl Temple is small but dangerous,.
Experience: You will receive a good amount of experience in the Throtl temple including some magical items, especially from the main battle in Room 5. Save before entering this room.
Quests: Don’t let the Cleric escape. Try to wrap up the temple quest in one trip, so not to reset the 8 Random Encounters, which is a lot for this small area. The main quest in this area is to disrupt the Egg conversion in Room 5.
Leaving: Once you have completed the
The adventure begins after the good armies have recovered lands seized by the Dragon Armies in the War of the Lance and pushed the evil forces from the continent. After establishing outposts to watch over these territories, the good forces withdrew. Your party is
sent to man one of these outposts.
Supposedly the main evil forces have long fled and only the occasional wandering monster remains. On your first patrol, you find this just isn’t so. You find draconians ambushing agroup of the good settlers who have been moving into the reconquered lands. You defeat the baaz draconians. An aurak draconian, who could easily destroy you if he chose, seizes an ancient book. He takes this and Dimension Doors away, ignoring you as beneath his notice.
Returning to the outpost to report all of this, you find Sir Karl, aknight sent to investigate strange reports from the outposts, battling the outpost’s commandant. Sir Karl kills the commandant whose body changes into that of a sivak, a draconian warrior/assassin who assumes the shape of his victim.
From this and your report, Sir Karl quickly realizes that evil has been operating the outpost for its own ends, sending back false messages that all is well, while systematically wiping out the good forces sent to keep an eye on things. One of these forces is now in the (supposedly) abandoned hobgoblin city of Throtl, just northeast of the outpost. The force is led by Caramon Majere, one of the heroes of the War of the Lance. You are sent to warn him of the danger.
JOURNAL ENTRY 10
“…attempt a conversion without the intervention of Tak …
.. .book of spells that contains the necessary incantations and rituals for the conversion . It is said that this book will allow even relatively weak ma…
. ..nze, silver and gold were considered the most difficult trans…”.
JOURNAL ENTRY 50
I have good news . I have managed to attain the volume that we have been searching for all of these years. The power to create more of our kind is now in my hands. Send me all of your eggs along with any mages and clerics that you may have with you. I’ll be at the Citadel of CQargath very soon. Have the eggs packed and taken to me within the week.
By order of Myrtani
JOURNAL ENTRY 35
“I was with a party of knights and others under Caramon that came in here to explore. We haven’t really found anything. Caramon’s already left to report. I guess you must have missed him.
“Oh, one thing we did find out was that there is a treasure left over from the previous occupants of Throtl . We got word of it from a hobgoblin who was sneaking in to claim it. Before he died, he told us that it was located in the south-central area of the city. Tell you what, if you help me find this treasure, I’ll split it with you . All right?”
JOURNAL ENTRY 7
“Listen, Sir Karl is the most honorable of men. I would follow him anywhere. But there is something very dark and strange going on around him . He seems obsessed with a young girl named Maya. The fact that he’s about 40 years older than she is isn’t really the problem; if they’d just settle down and declare themselves! All that would happen is that a few gossips will snicker and that’ll be the end of it. But they won’t do that. Maya is extremely valuable to us. She has sources of information that are astounding, especially for one so young. But whenever the two of them are in the
same room the tension is so obvious that…
“Ah, never mind. You say that he seems to be all right. I will go on that hope, and let troubles find me in their own good time. Let’s go.”
JOURNAL ENTRY 73:
“After the battle I was taken to see a powerful cleric. He laughed at my defeat. They led me to some doors that glowed in the darkness, opened them with a key that he pulled from his robes, and took me to a dark temple. I saw a bronze dragon egg on the altar! He told me that they were going to start the corruptions again! Then he had his minions beat me.
“I woke up here . If it hadn’t of been for the treachery of a dark elf, and a sneak attack from behind, they never would have captured me.” He pauses . “I’m sorry for my men .” he says, ‘They had no idea what we were getting into. Krynn’s blood, I didn’t know either. We were unprepared for the extent of the evil forces. ‘The ambush was a complete surprise.”
JOURNAL ENTRY 9:
She explains to Caramon, “I’ve been sent by Sir Karl to get you back to the Outpost. There are rumors that large forces of draconians, hobgoblins, minotaurs and others are gathering . We need you to direct scouting and raiding operations. I see now that things are worse than we thought. Throtl was supposed to have been abandoned.”
Caramon says, “It’s even worse than that. I have seen Brass Dragon Eggs!”
She gasps, “No! They must not do this again!” Then she pauses, “Wait, how can they do it? I thought the process was lost during the War of the Lance . Did you see any evidence that they were successful?”
“No,” says Caramon, “I was knocked unconscious before I had a chance to look further.” He turns to you . “I need you to investigate this matter. Find the key, and go to the old temple in the Northeast part of the city. Find out what you can.”